Monday, June 2, 2008

Step 1: Removing the deck hardware.

Take a good look at your deck hardware. A lot of it will not need to be removed for the purposes of the deck restoration. The cleats and stanchions are on pads that the deck will flow around. Having said that, remove the deck hardware. Now is a good time to clean, inspect and rebed them. Your going to make a mess down below with the headliners anyways so why not.

To estimate how much time it will take, do you best guess and then double it. It will certainly take twice a long. We’re only removing a few bolts, right? Yes, but those bolts are in every conceivable nook and cranny plus you will have to remove various trim, headliners and a few will probably snap off and have to be drilled out.

I put each deck hardware piece in a plastic baggy and labeled it with my new label maker (See previous post). My daughter thought using that was pretty fun too!

I bought from a kindergarten teacher a bunch of storage bins and rack at a yard sale for $5. Those bins were great for storing all the various components I took off the boat. Each major area or piece of equipment got it own bin. When it comes time to put everything back, it is hoped that everything will be able to be located. I have my fingers crossed.

No comments: